MetaData Repository Overview
Within the medical world , a MetaData Repository is an essential tool which is needed to form a database of data. What this database does is hold a variety of different information about the company as well as records of patients/customers. This can vary form anything from patient data to basic admin functions for the company as well as details about employees. Essentially a MetaData Repository can hold all the information about a company and its ongoing projects within it. Having a structured and well maintained repository means businesses need to spend less time focusing on adding or removing new data structures. These are used to meet business requirements and effectively store data.
So What Are The Advantages To A Managed Meta Data Repository?
- Meta data can be used to differentiate different terms such as client, patient etc
- Data discovery can be simplified. Essentially instead of trawling through various systems data discovery can be simplified so that a company can track its process and create various sources for different forms of data within a Meta Data Repository
- Having a managed metadata system can lead to reduced costs as well as reduced time spent managing data which can free up time to work on other more pressing tasks. In addition to this storage space can also be saved and utilised more effectively.
- Data produced to patients , customers or clients can be produced to a high standard and without fear of errors.This results in high quality and reliable data which is produced by It/Data specialists
- Overall It performance should see an improvement as MetaData can help IT locate data as well as understand what it means reducing overall complexity of the operation
MetaData- Use In Clinical Trials
Within the clinical trails industry , MetaData plays a crucial role in allowing employees to effectively monitor and track results as well as log data. On of the reasons that MetaData is so fundamental to clinical trials is clinical trials can involve hundreds of different datasets over several different trials. A MetaData management system allows for these data sets to be accessed easily and displayed in an accessible format. Additionally a further use of MetaData in clinical management trials is that using it ensures that all tests or trials performed meet full guidelines whilst maintaining transparency from start to finish. Metadata Management is one of the most challenging aspects of work for a variety of organisations and one of the main factors of this is the time and resources needed to manage the data. However There had been a growth in recent years of MetaData management services that can be outsourced to other companies to ensure the MetaData is handled effectively and that systems are optimised.
Forms Of MetaData
- Technical MetaData- this type of data is information IT developers and specialists use to maintain databases and alter them for example the number of columns in spreadsheet
- Data lineage- information about what has happened to data and whether it has been moved to another system or altered in any way
- Business Metadata- This information is used to make informed decisions about the business and its progress. Essential business metadata can contain business processes , policies and procedures as well as overall performance statistics.